We partner with classroom teachers to increase student’s understanding and appreciation of the natural world. Our programs provide real world, outdoor experiences that connect with classroom lessons. Wehr’s programs complement local curricula and support state and national standards.
Wehr Nature Center offers field trip experiences year round for Preschool to 12th grade students. Visit us at Wehr, or we can meet your group in one of the many beautiful parks in the Milwaukee County Parks system.
Programs at Your Facility
We can bring nature to your school, childcare center, library or special event. Professional Nature in the Parks naturalists deliver high quality, interactive nature programs at your site. Some programs even include an outdoor component, if a green space is nearby.
Field Trips for Groups of Homeschoolers
Homeschool associations can bring their group to one of our many field trip experiences. Take a look at the offerings listed in the PreK-12 Program Guide.
Request a Program
Complete the brief form with your date and topic preferences. Someone will respond to your request within 5 days.
Kids in the Park Scholarship
Thanks to a generous gift from the Borman Family Foundation and individual donors, Wehr Nature Center is able to provide the Kids in the Park scholarship program starting in the 2022/23 school year in order to allow more students to experience the wonders of nature wherever they are whether it be in their school classroom, in a nearby Milwaukee County Park, or at Wehr Nature Center.
- Field trip fee: $5.50 for schools within Milwaukee County; $6.50 for schools outside of Milwaukee County.
- In-school program fee: $110 for one class and $100 for each additional session.
- Watershed Investigations programs both at Wehr and in Milwaukee County Parks are $7.50 (Milwaukee County schools) and $8.50 (out of county).
- All programs have a minimum of $110 and extra adults above a 1:10 ratio pay at the child field trip rate. Some additional fees apply for special programs.
- We believe in supporting access to nature which is why our school programs are largely subsidized by generous sponsors and donors through the Friends of Wehr Nature Center, our nonprofit support.
- Complete the online program request and our registrar will contact you via email to confirm your program request. Reservations for the following school year can be made beginning April 1. We recommend requesting your program as soon as possible, but we require at least one month prior to your preferred date to schedule and confirm. Once confirmed, a confirmation letter and invoice will be sent to the emails of both the teacher and office contact for billing provided on your request form within five business days of booking. Payment is due 30 days prior to your program date. Payment can be made with cash, credit card, or check.
What Teachers are Saying...
“Our parents and teachers love that each child had a
chance to use their senses and the puppet show was
informational and fun. The questions and activities
helped reinforce our curriculum.”
“Great vocabulary. Students were actively engaged,
wonderful questions that accessed prior knowledge.
Moved from basic to higher level thinking.”