Friends of Wehr Native Plant Sale Fundraiser
Saturday & Sunday, June 1 & 2, 2024; 10 am - 3:30 pm
Become a champion for Wehr Nature Center and the environment by purchasing native plants. Any size planting creates a wildlife oasis, connecting beneficial ecosystems that support plants, animals, and humans.
Why Buy Plants from the Friends of Wehr Plant Sale?
· Cultivates healthy, safe, food-rich spaces for valuable pollinators, birds, and animals
· Offers Southeastern WI-specific native plants from a selection larger than many local nurseries
· Keeps nature in balance and use fewer resources through sustainable landscaping
· Increases the productivity of your food garden
· Creates mindful spaces that support personal health and well-being
· Supports Wehr Nature Center and improves center habitats
Pre-order for the best chance of getting the plants you want. Pre-order forms will be available by mid-March 2024. Check the Friends of Wehr website for a pre-order form. Plant Sale - Friends of Wehr Nature Center . Forms must be received by April 25, 2024. To get on the yearly mailing list and receive a copy of the form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org New this year: Friends of Wehr will receive an additional shipment of plants for the in-person sale on Saturday and Sunday.
Thank you for supporting the environment and Friends of Wehr. See you at the sale on June 1 and 2.
Plant Sale FAQS
It gives you the best chance of getting the plants that you want and allows us to order from our vendor before their stock of plants runs out. Some items such as plug trays and pollinator packs are only available by pre-order. And you can still shop for additional plants at the in-person sale.
- Enter the number of each plant, pollinator pack, or plug tray you want in the box next to the name.
- Return all pages of the order form, even if blank
- Complete the order form and return to Wehr by Thursday, April 25
- Questions on what terms like "spring ephemeral", "full sun", and others mean? Read our Glossary of Native Plant Gardening Terms
Pre-order forms must be received at Wehr by 4:30 pm on Thursday, April 25th. You can email a scan of your order form to email@example.com, drop it off between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm 7-days a week, or mail it to : Friends of Wehr, 9701 W College Ave Franklin WI 53132
Plugs are young plants that come in 2-inch pots. These two-year-old plants have well-developed roots but only a small amount of above-ground growth.
Plugs are an economical way to plant a large area since they are much cheaper than more mature plants. They will take more time to produce flowers than stock in standard pots.
Plugs are shipped in sets of 16 of the same kind of plant.
Maybe, but it depends on their variety and size. Most plants will bloom in their second year after planting, but some will produce bloom in their first year. A few like white trillium may take longer to flower.
Keep your garden colorful by planting some annual flowers among the perennials during their first year. Choosing the right annuals will provide pollinators food while your perennials grow.
Your new plants will need some special care through their first summer. Roots are disturbed during transplanting, causing some "shock". It is important to keep the plants watered as they recover, especially during heat and drought.
Mulching will help keep moisture around new plants and slows down weed growth. It is important to keep the stems of the plants free of mulch. Your native plants don not need any fertilizer.
Mark the locations of your plantings so you don't accidentally pull them out the next spring thinking they are weeds!
If you have lots of rabbits or deer you may want to protect your new plants with some type of caging.
Yes! We hope to have these plants in 2023:
- Aromatic Aster Aster oblongifolius
- Cylindrical Blazing Start Liatrus cylindrica
- Slender Beardtongue Penstemon gracilis
- Showy Orange Coneflower Ratibida fulgida speciosa
- Starry Solomon's Seal Smilacina stellata
- Bristly Sedge Carex comosa
- Palm Sedge Carex muskingumensis
- Serrsucker Sedge Carex plantaginea
- Torrey's Rush Juncus torreyi
Back in 2023
- Rough Blazing Star Liatrus aspera
- Bluebell Bellflower Campanula rotundafolia
- Birdfoot Violet Viola pedata
- White Turtlehead Chelone glabra
Start a Pollinator Party in Your Yard
Join the effort to support pollinators. Pre-order one of our ready-to-plant kits to get your pollinator garden started.
Only available by pre-ordering before April 25th!
A Pollinator Party Pack is a group of 16 plugs that will provide an early summer through fall progression of flowering plants that pollinators, especially bees, love, and need.
These plants are all perennial plugs, which means they are small and will not bloom the first year. They can be added to an already existing garden or used to create a new space.
Pollinator Party Packs - All plants prefer full sun to mostly sun.
Plants packs may include a variety of the following:
- 3 late spring plants such as Prairie Smoke, Wild Geranium, Canada Anemone, and Wild Columbine
- 9 summer plants of various colors and blooming times such as Blazing Stars, Monarda, Milkweeds, Penstemon, Spiderwort, Coneflowers, and Lobelias
- 4 fall blooming plants such as Asters and Goldenrods