Bug Day Returns!
Sunday, September 19, 2021 (1-4pm)
Bugs Rule! Join us as we celebrate the little creatures that run our world at Wehr’s 16th Annual Bug Day!
- Grasshopper Jump-Off – Bring your own or check out a hopper
from our stables. Prizes awarded for the top hoppers.
- Live Insect Zoo featuring beetles, roaches, and critters from
around the world (petting permitted)
- Bug Discovery Walks – dip, dig, and swoop for insects
- Dress like a bug in special kid sized bug costumes
- Visit “Larva Land”, a special pre-school area for the littlest bug fans
- Meet a real Entomologist and get that buggy question answered.
$3 per person; $2 for Friends of Wehr Members, 2 yrs & under FREE; parking $4
Youth group leaders please call Wehr Nature Center at 414-425-8550. The front desk staff will assist you in purchasing your group tickets. Please note the center is closed on Wednesdays.
Saturday & Sunday, March 27 & 28, 2021 (11 am-4 pm)
Celebrate the spring thaw and our Wisconsin heritage at Wehr’s annual Maple Sugar Days. The pandemic edition of our beloved event will be held entirely outdoors and follow all public health protocols to keep visitors and volunteers safe. The program includes a short walk to the sugarbush, a visit to an old-time sugarin’ camp, a boil down demonstration and stories about the Native American origins of maple sugarin’. While we can’t serve pancakes due to the pandemic, we will send you home with a serving of authentic Wisconsin maple syrup to enjoy, along with a craft kit for the kids.
The guided hikes begin at 11 am and continue every 15 minutes until 4 pm. You will be asked to choose your hike time at the time of reservation
Preregistration is required. Ticket sales will open once event permission is granted. Watch the website and social media for updates
Fee: $10 per person, Free for children ages 2 and under
Important Maple Sugar Days 2021 Information
• All participants (3 years old and up) will be required to wear a mask that covers their nose and
face while at Wehr
• Group size will be up to 10 people and can include multiple parties.
If you would prefer to not be mixed with other families, you can purchase a 10-ticket block and
bring along friends from your “COVID-19 bubble”
• This event is designed for adults and children ages four and older
• Advanced ticket purchases only. No tickets will be sold at the door
• Tickets are non-refundable, non-exchangeable, and the program runs rain or shine
• Maple sugar treats and tapping equipment will be available online for pre-order
Ticket link goes live at 9am on March 6
Women and Girls in Science: Inspiring the Next Generation of Scientists
Wehr’s Women and Girls in Science event aims to provide girls (and boys) with an opportunity to learn about female pioneers in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) and to connect with women who are pursuing these professions in our own community. Our diverse, month-long Women and Girls in Science event will be a virtual experience hosted by three prominent local employers. Some of the highlights of the sessions will be: Sharing the stories of various women in science, being able to participate with at home activities that align with these scientists, sharing of the results of those activities on Wehr Nature Center’s social media platforms, as well as an opportunity to meet virtually with real women in STEM careers to ask them questions about the professions.
Stories of Scientific Success
Thursday sessions at 3 pm on February 11, 18, 25 and March 4
Saturday sessions at 10 am on February 13, 20 & 27
Meet the Scientists
Saturday, March 13, 10-11:30 am
Halloween Haunts: Pandemic Edition
Join us for Wehr’s 32nd Annual Halloween Haunts on October 15, 16, & 17, from 6 to 8:30 pm. The pandemic edition of our beloved event will be held entirely outdoors and follow all public health protocols to keep visitors and volunteers safe. Halloween Haunts educates families about misunderstood nature in a kooky, slightly spooky way. Families follow a path lined with hundreds of amazing Jack-o-lanterns into the Enchanted Forest and learn about misunderstood nature from friendly costumed characters such as owls, frogs, and skunks. While we won’t be able to hold our usual indoor Halloween carnival due to social distancing standards, we will send each child home with a goody bag that includes a Halloween craft and prize. Masks are required for all participants 3 years and older, so start planning your Halloween themed face apparel!
Cost: $10 per person
Important Halloween Haunts Information
- All participants (3 years old and up) will be required to wear a mask that covers their nose and face while at Wehr
- Group size will be up to 10 people and can include multiple parties. If you would prefer to not be mixed with other families, you can purchase a 10-ticket block and bring along friends from your “COVID-19 bubble”
- This event is designed for adults and children four and older
- Advanced ticket purchases only. No tickets will be sold at the door
- Limit of 10 tickets per person. Group size will be limited to 10 people to allow for social distancing
- Hikes leave the building every 7 minutes between 6 to 8:30 pm
- Tickets are non-refundable, non-exchangeable, and the program runs rain or shine
Homemade Holidays - Pandemic Edition
Deadline to order your crafts – November 15
Pickup craft orders December 4, 5, and 7. Registration coming soon!
Did you know that crafting helps reduce stress? Concentrating on the task at hand focuses the mind and reduces negative thoughts. Sadly, some of our favorite things have not happened this year due to the pandemic – we won’t let it stop Homemade Holidays! Crafts come ready to assemble and designed for your age group – we have gathered the recycled materials for you! These projects help children develop fine motor skills, self-esteem, focus and creativity by reusing and repurposing objects all while saving more “stuff” from going to the landfill! Depending on your choices, all you may need is a hammer, school glue or a glue stick to complete the project.
Recommended for children aged 5 and older. $5 donation per craft. Pick up dates: Dec 4, 9-4:30pm; Dec 5, 11 – 2pm; Dec 7, 3 -6pm
Stay tuned for 2021 dates...
With most 2020 events on hold or canceled, we are looking towards next year to be back better than ever!